A few pictures of the owl that frequents Bluebonnet Lane. By Angie Howes
To all Oakridge Landowners,
Time again for taking a census of the Whitetail Deer within the subdivision. Most Saturdays in August will be used again this year. We will begin a little earlier this year and need to gather before 8:15pm. At this time I need to have volunteers of PickUPs. Will need 2 each night. If you have a family or friends that will fill a portion of your PU, let me know that as we will have some who will be wanting to ride & count. We normally have 4 to 6 spotters in each PU bed.
Be sure to fill out your Observation Sheets during August and if you don’t have one, I can send you a copy.
SPOTLIGHT DATES : Dates are 8/4, 8/18, 8/25 with alternate dates of 8/11 and 8/31.
The 8/4 has already been filled with a family Reunion and with both PUs. We will still have a little wine and snacks on ALL spotlight nights for ALL who just want to sit out in cool evening while the Spot Light is being done.
CURRENT NEED: 2 Pick-ups for the nights of 8/18 and 8/25. Let me know!!!!
Stand-by Pick-ups for 8/11 and 8/35.
Carolyn and Jim Trickett
For all property owners…Please remember to get a copy of the Herd Composition form, fill it out during the month of August and get it to Jim Trickett or another board member by August 31st. We must input this data into the TPWD website, this helps us to get doe permits.
HEY EVERYONE! Don’t forget about the annual ORWMA Ice Cream Social on Saturday, July 7 at Lynn Bigelow’s residence, 1287 Oakridge Rd. It starts at 6:PM… bring a freezer of your favorite home made ice cream to share with everyone (or store bought if you prefer), ORWMA will provide tubs and ice to keep it cold. Also bring any toppings you may like. In lieu of ice cream bring cookies or another dessert of your choice. No one has been keep count, but we think this is our 12th annual ice cream social.
Just a reminder folks, Colorado County Commissioners Court has declared a county wide burn ban and fireworks ban. So please, no outdoor fires or fireworks. More info can be found on the Colorado County web site.
Our 2018 Winter Birding Census will be held on Saturday & Sunday, the 3rd & 4th of February, 2018. Participants can bird either morning they wish. If you are interested in joining in, please contact Amy Hardy, ORWMA Birding Chairperson, at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
The Birding Census will conclude with a lunch at the Hardy home on Sunday, Feb 4th.
We hope everyone will consider participating! Bird counts are generally done at daybreak when the birds are most active. Simply walk your property and use the attached bird list to write down how many you see of each species. Turn your completed list(s) in to Amy via email or take them to the lunch on Sunday, the 4th. Grab a cup of coffee, bottle of water, your binoculars & cameras and hit the fields and woods of Oakridge Ranch.
Have fun! Live life outdoors!
Colorado County Judges have enacted a Burn Ban Order (attached below) for all of Colorado County. For complete details, please see the attached copy of the order.
No open fires, please.
Fall has come to Oakridge Ranch! What a beautiful time of year!
But even better is the fact that Fall & Winter brings a beautiful bird to our area, the American Bald Eagle. Thank you, Maggie Lynch, for this picture! So neighbors, keep your cameras ready. You never know what you’ll see or what is seeking a safe haven here at Oakridge Ranch. Click on the picture to enlarge it and check out this amazing bird of prey.
Live life outdoors!
ANNUAL PERMIT MEETING
- Saturday, September 23, 9:00AM at the Oakridge Community Center
- ORWMA Dues $20 / Deer Hunt Participation Fee $20
- There are several new regulations that will impact hunters at Oakridge that will be discussed at this meeting
- Due to a change in TPWD regulations, ORWMA will be responsible for printing the doe permits and will have them at this meeting
- A list of deer checkers with their contact information will be provided at the meeting.
- If you don’t attend this meeting and pickup your permits then they will be available by appointment only
- September 30, 2017 to February 28, 2018
- Does may be taken with a MLD permit ONLY
- Does may be harvested with any legal means (firearm, bow, crossbow, muzzle loader etc.) during this season.
- All does must be checked in with an ORWMA deer checker or the TPWD biologist. The deer must be field dressed when checked in.
- You will receive a replacement permit each time you check in a doe.
- The TPWD seasons, restrictions, and bag limits for Colorado County apply (See the current Outdoor Annual) [2017-2018].
- Archery Only – September 30, 2017 thru November 3, 2017
- Youth Only – October 28-29, 2017 and January 8-21, 2018
- General Season – November 4, 2017 thru January 7, 2018
- Muzzleloader Season – January 8 – 21, 2018
- All bucks must be checked in with an ORWMA deer checker or the TPWD biologist. The deer must be field dressed when checked in.
- Bucks are tagged with a tag from your hunting license.
ORWMA’s continued participation in the TPWD MLD Program depends on your cooperation and compliance with these requirements.
If you have any questions feel free to give me a call.
Whitetail Deer Chairman
Below is a note from Jim Trickett regarding our Individual Landowners’ Observation data. Also attached is the required Landowner Individual August Census form…….or you can use Jim’s shortened version attached above.
“The Observation data is needed to finish the survey. It needs to be turned in as soon as possible [Sept. 1st]. The survey sheets you have should be tallied and that data passed along to me. The sheets can be placed in my mailbox – 1278 Oakridge Road – the green address sign is close to the mailbox, but not on it.
If you would prefer, I will accept the data you have added up and averaged at bottom of the sheet. Below is a form you can fill in the data and email by return email to email@example.com. So either bring the sheets to my mailbox or send back the summarized data sheet below [via email].
With this data, I think I can furnish the data sheet for Oakridge [to Texas Parks & Wildlife Department biologists as required for our MLD].”
Oakridge Ranch MLD August Whitetail Census Facilitator